Thursday, May 23, 2013

A Dream Come True

I had the thrilling honor of painting an image for the poster of a film made by one of my all-time heroes of cinema: Mohsen Makhmalbaf. From childhood his movies helped shape my cultural identity & arrested my imagination with breathtaking scenes in films like Gabbeh.  Time magazine selected Makhmalbaf's 2001 film, Kandahar, as one of top 100 films of all time. 

His fascinating latest film "The Gardener" is now being released in the U.S. See the trailer & more at the official site: http://www.thegardenerfilm.com 
The image for this poster was painted entirely by hand. Bravo to KDK Factory & Saeed Jalili for lovely design & typography work!!

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations! It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! So excited that your painting is the image for the poster. Look forward to seeing the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Makhmalbaf is one of my FAVORITE film makers!! Congratulations.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a fan of your artworks since years ago.
    Shirin, this poster is amazing! Peaceful, sincere and lovely... I don't know if you have ever traveled to Iran or not, but this painting with those trees in the background is like nowhere but my homeland!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Xovika! Thank you for the encouraging & kind words! I am sure Iran is very beautiful! My family fled Iran during the revolution sadly. But hopefully one day I can go...I recommend seeing this movie, it is very meaningful & profound. :)

    ReplyDelete